From:
"Atkinson,Laura" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 09:49:47 PDT
Hello fellow Ferret Mayhem Lovers (FML get it hehee),

I've been lurking on the FML for about 1 1/2 now.

I think it's time for an introduction.  This may be a little long, but I
have a couple of stories and some ?'s to ask so please "ferret" with me.  My
name is Laura, two and a half years ago, I was adopted by my first ferret...
her name is Shaunta' (pronounced Shawn tay).  She is a MF ferret.  She and I
have been through some good and bad times.  First when she was about 1 year
old I learned what ferret proofing "really" was(n't).  I lived in a one
bedroom apartment and thought she was safe, I took all of the necessary
precautions (I thought).  Then one day I couldn't find my little Shaunta'.
Where could she be????  I put up fliers throughout my apartment complex.  1
week passed I still had hope, two weeks passed I was starting to give up,
three weeks passed I knew for sure she was gone.  Either she found a new
home or the worst had happened (I really LOVE her).  That weekend I had my
apartment bombed for fleas.  Two days later I heard this hissing coming from
the kitchen, I listened... I thought it can't be.  I sat back and started
watching TV.  I heard it again, I had to get up and look... I walked into
the kitchen and there was my cat (CJ), standing over my little girl, who
weighed less that an ounce at this point.  She was dehydrated and
malnourished, not to mention probably had toxemia (from the flea foggers).
I rushed her to the 24hr emergency Vets, she was given subcutaneous (sp?)
fluid injections, and sent home with me (I could not afford to leave her
overnight).  I took her home, and kept her on a Pedialite/Nutri-cal diet for
a couple of days.  After that she started eating on her own, I kept her on
the Pedialite/Nutri-cal for the next month, she recovered amazingly.  She
still only weighs about 1 1/2 pounds (is that normal for a female?).  Thank
God for Prayers answered!!!!!!!!

Now FERRET MATH comes into play... On July 17th I was once again adopted.
By a little boy, who was six weeks old at the time.  His name is Sasha'
(pronounced Sash ay).  When I brought him home Shaunta' was a little
skeptic, she's somewhat of a loner.  Two days after I got him Shaunta'
started having very mucousy (sp?) green diarrhea (at this point the baby
showed no symptoms), she started getting very lethargic so I took her to the
24hr vet again, he checked for intestinal blockage ran a fecal floation it
was negative for coccidia and parasite ova.  The vet put her on 0.5ml of
Cloramphenical 2 per day/2wks, I kept her on that until 8/5 when she seemed
to take a turn for the worst.  I took her to another vet right away he
checked for the same things the Emergency Vet checked for ran the same test,
also checked for intestinal blockage and I asked him about ECE, he didn't
seem to think that was the problem.  He also checked the baby and he checked
out fine.  He took a sterile stool sample (from Shaunta') and sent it off to
a lab for testing.  I took Shaunta' home she vomited and seemed to get even
worse, I went out and got some more Pedialite and some chicken, lamb baby
foods.  I had to hand feed my baby 3tx a day for 1wk.  until the Vet got
some results back from the lab... apparently Shaunta' had (VETS help me
out??) PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA has anyone heard of this in ferrets?  Is it
life threatening??  Is it contagious???  She was given 3 baytrill x 3 days
(1 a day) shots and then an oral mixture of 50% Baytrill 50% dextrose to be
given 1 a day for about 3 weeks.  She seems to have improved, but she still
hasn't gained "ANY" weight.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  The
baby is doing great, no signs or symptoms of anything.  I am having a hard
time litter training him though.

Once again FERRET MATH comes into play (I keep telling myself "Two isn't any
harder to take care of than one, three isn't any harder to take care of than
two...)... On September 6th, there was an add for a free ferret, apparently
this families son was returning to High School and could (or wouldn't) no
longer care for the little guy, so guess what???  Monday September 9th I
went over to meet him (Malive) and his family.  He's a Gorgeous chocolate MF
he is approximately 4 years old.  He was very gentle and seems to be well
cared for other that when I got there he was outside (I live in Florida and
it was about 5:00pm) it was still pretty warm.  I also noticed on the way
home his skin was a little flaky (they had just bathed him), I wondered if
maybe they bathed him too often.  Anyway we got home I introduced them all
slowly, no territory fighting at all, but my so was there and the new guy
was climbing up his shirt sleeve, I thought that was cute until he nipped
him.  Then I though it was hysterical, until Mal came over to me.  I was
laying on my stomach on the floor watching them do the ritual (sniff).
Anyway, Mal started smelling me and then he got to the back of my knee, you
know the REAL sensitive part... CHOMP, he drew blood.  Then again later on
my arm, didn't quite draw blood that time but he certainly left teeth marks.
Does anyone know why he would do such a thing??

Well I've written enough for my own edition of the FML (BIG Please forgive
me:) )

Any questions or answers, please feel free to email me direct at
[log in to unmask] or through the FML.

Thanks for your ears (eyes) and time,
Laura,
Shaunta' (Awe mom, I was happy when it was just u and me)
Sashay' (Let me at 'em... let me at 'em)
Malive (Hey lady, you sure do taste good)
CJ... The cat (I can't get any sleep around here)
Ishmale... The fish-male (Hey, keep those things away from me!!!)