Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:21:43 -0500
I have a sick fert.  Rudy (female) is 4 years old and 2 months ago she
started losing weight and became very lethargic.  The first Vet I took
her to determined that she had an enlarged spleen but all he told me to
do was change her food (from Iams kitten to Totally Ferret) and stop
giving her Ferretvite.  She remained the same.

Then I took her to another vet who gave her sub-q fluids for dehydration
and did blood work, an xray and gave her 2 antibiotics (clavamox and
metrandidazole) at a cost of $450 (gasp!!).  They also gave me Eukanuba
Maximum Calorie cat food to feed her which I've been doing 3-4 times a
day every since.

That was 6 weeks ago and she is no better.  Her normal weight was 1.6
pounds.  Since she's been sick she's been weighing 1.0-1.1 pounds.  I
just took her back to the vet today.  I really want her spleen removed
and had been bracing myself for the cost.  They don't want to take her
spleen out but they do want to do some more blood work ($40) and a
sonogram ($235) plus $100 more for misc other things.  I've worked in
the medical (human) field for 30+ years and I think those charges are
OUTRAGEOUS!!  I tried bartering.....I have access to boxes of medical
supplies that are being sent to Third World Countries.........that I
could share, but they were not interested.  I live near Dallas and there
are only 3-4 vets in the area that treat ferrets.  I've been to 2 and
called a third and was told that it would cost $1200 to remove the
spleen.  It's not that I don't have the $$, it's just that I feel I'm
being massively overcharged!  Am I being unreasonable?  Is this what's
to be expected?

Her blood work last time was: Alk pos:464 (high); alb 2.3 (dehyd); glob
4.0 (high); Ca 10.2 (high); WBC 2500 (low).

Any input anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.  I love this
babe soo very much but I hate spending money on things that THEY want to
do when they won't do what I think needs to be done!

Sande