From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:57:28 -0400
Now,
"National guidelines released for earwax removal" isn't ferret
connected but the press release contains some very interesting info on
ear "wax" itself, and at least some that DOES apply to ferrets when
their ears are healthy.

See:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-08/aaoo-ngr082008.php

which includes information such as:

>Cerumen, commonly called "earwax," is not really a "wax" but a water-
>soluble mixture of secretions (produced in the outer third of the ear
>canal), plus hair and dead skin, that serves a protective function for
>the ear. Cerumen is a natural product that should not be routinely
>removed unless impacted.
>
>Cerumen impaction occurs when enough earwax accumulates to cause
>symptoms (pain, fullness, itching, odor, tinnitus, discharge, cough
>or hearing loss), or to prevent needed assessment of the ear.
>Any excessive cerumen normally migrates out of the ear canal
>automatically, assisted by motion of the jaw (e.g., chewing), and
>carries with it dirt, dust, and other small particles in the ear
>canal.

(I would suspect that this also applies to ferrets with healthy ears
but their wild ancestors were probably normally pretty short lived in
the wild -- going from the typical survival of wild relations rather
than the optimal -- so there may not have been a lot of survival
pressure for this to be as much the case as for humans. Also, I would
suspect that their tendency to "face wash" when they use their hands
and forearms to move scent over their faces from glands behind and
below their ears could possibly also help dislodge excess.)

>Cerumen is a beneficial, self-cleaning agent, with protective,
>lubricating (emollient), and antibacterial properties.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: