From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:05:29 -0500
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>As a shelter on the receiving end of the Florida ferret relocation, we
>were advised of the condition and medical needs of these ferrets prior
>to our acceptance of these ferrets. Their anticipated arrival and
>associated risks have already been accepted and, for our shelter's
>part, arrangements for quarantine and medical evaluation/treatment
>have already been made.

While the shelters receiving these ferrets may have been advised of
their medical status, it is only fair to also advise those considering
helping in their transport of the status. If the ferrets in need of
transport might be carrying CDV or ADV, it is only fair to let all
people involved know about this.

I, for one, would not want to transport ferrets that were not ADV
tested, unless I knew about this up front. If I was aware of the risk,
I could then decide if I could make the transport safe. Having dealt
with ADV for over 8 years, I do not want to ever have to deal, with it
again, and I will never knowingly put my own ferrets at risk.

There are ways of transporting ADV+ or possible ADV+ ferrets that will
reduce risks of exposure to other ferrets, but the people doing the
transport need to know the risk exists to take the necessary
precautions.

With the DMK ferrets, the ferret community was all aware ahead of time
that they were unvaccinated and untested.

There is noting wrong with asking these questions, and anyone
considering helping in this endeavor deserves to know the answers
before considering becoming involved.

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
http://www.ferretadv.com
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/