Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 02:40:14 -0700
Hello All,
I need some advice, But please No Flaming, This is tearing my heart out
enough.

I have 3 ferrets whom I love to death, and I've had for going on 4 years.
I also have dogs.

All of my pets have been rescues of some sort.  I've had Golden
Retrievers basically all my life, and I've rescued and worked with
rescued goldens.  About 6-7 months ago I rescued an unwanted almost 5
year old Golden Retriever.  He's gorgeous, but the previous owners never
did a thing with him.  They never trained him, never loved him (well they
did when he was a cute 6 week old puppy but now that he's a full grown 75
pound dog who's FULL of energy they don't want him).  Supposedly the lady
and her husband were divorcing and the dog was his, but he didn't want
him and where she was moving to she couldn't take him.  I fell in love
with him when I saw him, and after walking him (or rather being walked
by him) I knew he'd be my new running partner.  After getting him home,
evaluating his personality, and interacting with my other animals,...

Here's what I need some help and advice with: He doesn't do well with
anything small.  I've finally got him to the point where he doesn't
try and kill my cat (usually) but he's bound and determined to get my
ferrets.  He jumps on there cage at night trying to get it open to get to
them.  I can't let them out when he's in the house so I have to lock him
outside when it's the ferrets play time and if someone lets him in while
there out (which he's FORCED, yes I mean FORCED his way in, he's a big
dog and does not like taking NO for an answer)  My mom accidently let him
in the other night when the ferrets were out playing and I barely got
ahold of the dog before he went in for the kill.  I tackled him like a
football player but forchinatly Rizzo got away safe.  I don't know what
to do, and I'm reaching the end of my rope.  I've tried all kinds of
things to 'acclimate' the dog to my ferrets and nothings working.  If the
animal is larger then him (like my horse) he's just fine with them, but
anything smaller, like a cat, small dog, or ferret he'll try to kill it.
And i'm not about to put the safety of my ferrets and other animals at
risk because this dog refuses to listen.  I don't take getting an animal
lightly, I feel it's a life long process and you should be willing to
take care of that animal for the rest of it's life.  That's one reason I
do not want to get rid of Diesel, but I'm beginning to wonder if he would
be better in a home where he could be an only-pet.  I could really use
some advice, I don't want to have to get rid of this Dog.

 --God Bless--
  --Heather and the Weasel-Wannabes

=====
 - Determination is spelled F-E-R-R-E-T -