From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 1995 19:55:05 -0500
Poor Belle has had a rough couple monthso. After going through a coat change
in January that left her quite scruffy looking for a while, she had a week
where she just seemed sluggish. She had barfed all over her cage, which was
VERY unusual for her, but it just happened the one time. She slept a lot,
would get up and play for just a little while, and go back to sleep again.
She was eating, drinking and pooping normally; perhaps she was depressed
about the weather. Anyway, just as I was starting to get worried, she got up
on a Saturday and bounced-danced around the house all morning, getting into
trouble. She's been her normal active self since then. Except...

A few weeks ago, we had noticed a small scab on side of her neck, that didn't
seem to be healing. We pulled off the old scab, all matted with hair, cleaned
it with peroxide, and put some antibiotic cream on it. It seemed to be
getting better, then last week, I noticed it was all scabbed over again.
Since I was going to be working at home Wednesday, I took her for a visit to
the vet.

He said there was probably a cyst under the skin. Gave her a local
anesthetic, a quick cut and a single stitch to close. Took her home and she
seemed to be fine and unbothered by it. She was sleeping on my lap that
evening while I was watching TV, and when my husband Richard came over to the
sofa, I tipped her over gently so he could see the stitch. She fell over
completely on her side, limp as a rag. "Belle?" I cried. She didn't move.
"Belle!?!?!" I picked her up and shook her gently. For a few terrifying
seconds, she was completely unresponsive and totally limp. I mean, REALLY
LIMP! Then she heaved a big sigh, stretched, and said "Ah gee, Mom, I was
fast asleep. Whaddya want now?" Anyway, after waking up sufficiently, she was
her trouble-making self, dancing about and pooping in the wrong corners, etc.
Back to normal again. Except...

This weekend, she seems to be drinking and peeing alot. And to not always
have complete control. For example, she was sleeping peacefully on my lap,
and suddenly leapt up and ran to the nearest corner, dribbling on me and the
sofa on her way. This has happened a couple times, and she seems to be peeing
a lot more in her litter box too. Could this be a sign of a urinary
infection? She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable in any way, and except as
noted above, seems active and eating well.

Is there anything to be worried about in any of this? We go back to the vet
later this week to have the stitch removed. Should I have him check anything
else? (By the way, he seems fairly knowledgeable about ferrets, and is very
gentle.)

Linda, Richard, Joy and Belle, who thinks the Iams Kitten Food I brought home
yesterday is a treat. (She usually gets Science Diet Feline Growth).