From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:33:08 +0000
Ruffle survived yesterday.  She started into three episodes of serious and
sudden fluid problems because of her cardiomyopathy, so we wound up giving
her her morning 1/8 tab of Lasix, more Lasix 5 hours later when she blew up,
more in another five hours when she blew up again, and more in two hours
after that.  Since she was regaining it some at bedtime we gave her another
1/8 tab then.

Today so far she is not blown-up and we have not had any episodes of rapid
and severe fluid seepage.  She has only had her morning dose.  We went from
one eighth of a tab every other day till Sunday which had shot and one
eighth, to two eighths on Monday, to five eighths on Tuesday.

She is tired but alert and very happy with all the attention.  Yesterday she
played a lousy joke on me and you know she was allowed to get away with it
completely.  I was checking on Meltdown, but Ruffie heard me so she began to
rattle her cage door.  I rushed in as fast as I could so that she wouldn't
hurt her heart even more, then cuddled her.  Little gal looked me in the
eye, and laughed that "heh-heh-heh" breathy ferret laugh while piddling on
my thigh!  I feel like I've had "property of" tattooed into my quads.

She's not really digesting food much any more and is very obviously in her
last days but whether we'll lose her today, tomorrow, or another soon coming
day we don't know.

Thank you for the MANY (My Gosh!) e-mails.  I'm sorry if some of my replies
were too short or forgetful; I've been rather shell-shocked.

        Sukie

P.S.  We should have long ago trained our ferrets to open wide for medicine
time like Troy-Lynn has done with Gizzie.