From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 17:31:25 EST
I wanted to wish everyone a happy new year!

Our rescues are doing well, all of the cancer kids are on medication and
are scheduled for surgery in February.  All are doing well.

We have two new additions to our breeding program from France.  Our
breeding program was started in 1990 (15 years ago) and the main purpose
was to help bring back the health and longevity of the ferret.  After
this year, many of our original breedings have pasted away at over 10
years of age and less than 1% of all our breedings had health problems
(to our knowledge) has been reported back to us.  We keep records of any
problems reported to us with any lines.  We also put a three year health
guarantee on babies which means any genetic problems within three years
entitles that person to a replacement at no cost.  Feel free to check out
our breeder website at www.freewebs.com/dlightfulferrets/

We are also currently trying to raise the bar so to speak for ferret
farms.  Many ferret farms artifically induce the jills to come into
season and breed the jills up to 4 times a year and after the age of
three are retired.  Hobs are breed and artificially brought into season
at times to keep them producing.  These are not desirable conditions
and as such we are working to educate USDA and APHIS (and several
other entites, basically whoever will listen) on these conditions and
attempting to get their standards or regulations regarding Ferret Farms
changed.  Though I do not ever foreseeing that ferret farms would be
shut down completely, we are hoping to raise their standards such as not
allowing babies to be sold until they are at least 4 months of age with
all three distemper shots and rabies.  This would also make the age of
spaying and nuetering later than 4 weeks of age.  We are also encouraging
everyone else who wishes to help, to write letters as well.

We are also offering to educate (for free) pet store employees on ferrets
and handing out pamphlets on care and keeping of ferrets for their public
to take home prior to purchasing them.  Perhaps this will reduce the
number of surrenders.  If anyone else wants to do this as well, please
feel free to do so.  The more the public is educated the better it is.

Breeders are never put before our rescues, we currently do not have any
adoptable rescues at this time.  But after February, if all is good, we
might have some available for adoption.  Help join our fight to bring
about a better generation of ferrets.  Please consider writing to your
local pet stores and ferret farms and government agencies to help raise
the bar.  Knowledge truly is power.

Thank you and I hope everyone had a great new year and hope that next
will leave you all in good spirits and health.