From:
Cherie Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:29:44 -0500
I have read questions from some folks about interaction between ferts and
birds.  Let me tell you a short story.  I am mom to both a bird (a Quacker
Parrot named Leo) and two wonderful ferts (a one year old albino male named
Bear, he looks like a miniature polar bear and a one year old sable female
named Rocky, the great foot eater).

Last night I had let Rocky and Bear out for recess knowing that Leo was
high up on his playpen which sits on top of his cage.  I played with the
ferts for a little while and then went into the kitchen to do some dishes.
I had not been out of the room five minutes when all of a sudden I heard
Leo screaming at the top of his little lungs.  I ran into the living room
and there on the floor was Bear with Leo in his mouth.  Leo had apparently
jumped off the top of his cage to see what the furry things on the floor
where doing.  I screamed at Bear to let go as I was lunging towards them
and I had to physically pry Bear's teeth off of Leo's head.  Bear was
trying to drag Leo behind the stereo stand.  I got them separated and thank
the good Lord Leo was not hurt badly.  He had bloody teeth marks on each
side of his head by his ear openings, thankfully Bears teeth did not get in
his ears, and of course he was extremely shook up.  When I had picked up
Leo and ran into the kitchen with him to make sure he was all right Bear
followed close behind and was ready for more action.

This story might have been a little different if Leo had his flight
feathers but we keep them cut because he always tries to follow his dad
(my husband) out the front door.  But the point of the story is birds and
ferts don't mix.  I like to think that Bear was just trying to play with
Leo and would not have actually killed him but I just don't know and I am
sure Leo does not want to find out.  Since last night we have a new rule in
my house.  When Leo is out the ferrets stay in their house and when they
are out Leo stays in his house.  I hope this sheds some very important
light on the subject for the folks who where wondering.

Cherie