From:
Larry Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:04:25 -0400
Hi Anna Marie-

I'm afraid I don't know the medicine bottles you described, but I use
the very large bore syringes for mixing meds with chicken gravy and
hand feeding. I got really tired of having big faded blotches on my
clothes from Pred in the "ferret spit" when they don't want to take it,
and not having any idea how much I actually got into them. I found that
the little 1 ml dosage syringe fits tightly inside the tip of the 30 cc
feeding syringe (the bore is probably about a quarter of an inch). So.
I measure the meds in the little 1 ml one, suck up some gravy into the
big one, then stick to the two together and squirt in the meds and give
it a good shake After that, giving the meds is as easy as apple pie,
err, chicken gravy. Other than an occasional slobber, all the gravy and
meds get eagerly guzzled down and both the ferrets and I are happy, and
I know they are getting the full dose.

The place I get the large syringes is www.calvetsupply.com They have
lots of other handy stuff as well. They have a frequent buyer type
program, that you have to pay for, but it you are a shelter, you can
call them They gave me the discount for the shelter.

One final note, not all of the 1 ml syringes fit inside. Some are a
little too big to go inside. I took one of the feeding syringes in to
the vet, and they gave me a big handful of the "right" kind. The ones
that work are from Bectin Dickinson - I found some online somewhere,
but I lost the link - sorry.

Good luck-

Larry Anderson

Scales and Tails