From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:45:05 -0500
Broken back (Anonymous): if the vet says that a sling is safe for the
ferret there was someone here who made an interesting one by cutting the
bottom from a domed, light weight small rodent cage, wiring casters on
each corner, and then suspending a homemade sling and tail sling.  That
should be affordable enough for the little one.  Don't forget about
pantyhose slings if the vet says that they are okay to use, too.  If you
go the FML Archives (address on the header of every issue of the FML)
you can find instructions for making them.

Betty, great post!  It's always important to recall that while something
may be the most likely cause of certain symptoms that there can be other
causes.  Folks see Ashling right now and say "adrenal".  Actually, she
had both out cleanly years ago.  Her follicular health stinks, though.
When she first got her growths she lost about a 1/3 of her fur in a a
space of less than two weeks and then it took her a year a half or so to
regrow it.  Since then when she is under any stress she blows that part
of her coat within days.  She has lost it again in mourning for Glueball.
Years ago Chopper looked adrenal.  We couldn't risk an exploratory due to
her serious heart condition but on necropsy and pathology her adrenals
were fine.  It is always very important to remember that "most" is not
"always".  (On the other hand, it is possible for an adrenal growth to
be present and no symptoms to show until a serious one, like complete
urinary blockage suddenly shows -- also a rare occurrence but also
possible and we have been there which is very scary and calls for
emergency surgery as have others here.) There are always exceptions to
rules, and ferret vets know ferret health best.

I gather you had someone pick up a ferret of your's or one of someone you
know and make a pronouncement?  I recall one of those pronouncements when
a ferret who did have an adrenal growth resulted in someone deciding that
the ferret was getting poor care when in reality the person who had her
would have done surgery but other health problems made the ferret a poor
surgical candidate so the vets wisely advised against it and the person
with the ferret wisely did as suggested.  (You know how it is: usually
surgery by a ferret knowledgeable vet is best but there are exceptions.)

>Be wary of those that say they possess these special gifts, especially
>if they say they catch things sooner that a ferret knowledgeable vet has
>missed.

Yep, but do know that it is very possible for vets and family members to
suspect adrenal neoplasia before the TN panel shows it.  That isn't an
unusual position to be in, though that test can still be useful in some
cases, especially if the ferret is too sick with something else to have
exploratory surgery and a confirmation is wanted before trying Lupron and
Melatonin to reduce symptoms for a while.  (These meds are not cures, but
can help reduce symptoms till the growth gets beyond control either in
size, products produced, or nature as in a benign growth which remains
long and turns malignant.)

>Question; we have a friend that has snakes.  He states that ferrets kill
>snakes just as quickly as they do rodents.

Guess you mean the ones who don't adopt mice and feed them.  (So much
variation...)  Anyway, one general shelter here found that they had to be
extra careful in adopting out ferrets because of people who were feeding
them live to large snakes.  I don't doubt that some ferrets could kill
snakes -- but don't confuse them with mongooses who are viverrids and are
known for being excellent at snake killing and which gets back to the
topic of how it is so common for many to confuse animal identities -- but
snakes can also kill ferrets.  Bandit is NOT Riki Tiki Tavi.  (Actually,
compared to us ferrets are better at hand-to-hand hunting as you can see
when one takes on a rabbit but compared with many members of Carnivora
they are crummy at finding food and crummy at bringing it down.  Of
course, that works in the favor of those who use ferrets to scare rabbits
(rather than kill them) from the sorts of warren colonies which exist in
Europe (unlike the U.S. where our rabbits are more solitary).)