From:
Andrea Franzini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:56:50 -0400
Well, I lost my Pookie a good year ago.  He was only a year and half old.
Big calcified tumor that wrapped around his spine.  Now my youngest of 8
furkids, Iggy, had his Spleen removed today.  The Dr had found
pre-malignant type looking cells in his spleen, as well as his sub-lumbar
lymph being rather big, so Splenectomy with the addition of exploratory.
Dr checked his tummy and intestines and whatnot.  The spleen is out as well
as a rather nasty looking lymph that was within his bowel/intestine area,
and an aspiration of the sub-lumbar lymphs.  Iggy is home now and sleeping.
I will find out the the results of the spleen and lymphs on thusday/friday.
This is rather scary for me.  Pookie was only a year old when we found out
about his tumor, Iggy just turned a year old the end of march, and i am
facing perhaps another round of "what-ifs".  Both Pookie and Iggy are MF
ferrets.  I spit in MF's general direction.  (bash bash bash) Yes, i know
breeder ferrets are as equal to these sarcomas, cancers, illnesses, but
when a place like MF offers you a "replacement" ferret to ease your pain,
i think throwing a few facts in the air that i have dealt with is worth
while.

1. I have raised several ferrets that came into a pet store that had no
teeth, closed eyes, sutures showing, prolasped rectum, malnutritioned, and
box of living and dead kits together.  Hmmmpff.

2. MF was reluctant to do so, but i eventually recieved my $400 check from
MF to compensate pookie's medical treatment (surgery, biopsy), only after
many letters written, many tears, many phone calls, and eventually saying
good-bye to my first beloved furkid.

3. people think i am a weird one, but, if we have to test things that will
be used for humans, test on humans.  we have plenty of death row humans
eating our tax money.  put them to use.  yeah, do it humanely, just as
humane as any animal is treated.  see how the humans will protest, i am
sure the animals, FERRETS, feel the same way.  duh.

4. yes, right now i am bitter.  i am watching another one of my furkids go
through surgery and not feel to good.  i also have 7 other furkids that are
missing iggy as he sleeps in his "get well" cage.  I do not want to deal
with cancer again and have to say goodbye to my fuzzy at such a young age.
if pookie would have had at least a long life, yes i would have been
crushed, but i would have known that he had the best and fullest.  even in
his year with me, it was the best and fullest.  but only a year is not
fair to be going through such miserable crap like this.  blah.

well, i'll keep up with posting as to the progression of iggy.

ahnie and the 7+1 sick fuzzbutts