From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:58:17 -0700
Every once in a while, when people ask about small airline travel carriers,
I recommend the little Cabin Kennel by Doskocil.  It's tan with a wire top
and a wire bale handle.  I've used it to fly my ferrets across the country
(when engaged in the showing part of my hobby - what my husband refers to
as 'advancing the ferrets to their greater glory') because it fits inside
a cloth satchel and under all airline seats.  Plus at security checks it
allows airline personnel to verify there are no bombs hidden inside the
carrier without the ferrets having to be removed.  And it's easier to
remove poop from while in flight - a real biggie!

Ok, now having said all that positive stuff - I'm no longer so thrilled
with this carrier.  I had a ferret get a tooth hooked on the wire top.
When a ferret bites on the wire door in the front of a carrier, he's doing
so in a more 'normal' manner.  With the wire on top, my ferret pressed his
nose upward, got his tooth hooked and was stuck there.  We were going to
the vet and fortunately he pushed his nose back up and got the tooth loose
before we had to add broken fang removal to our visit.  Phew!

Having used that carrier a lot I don't recall ever having a ferret hanging
by his tooth before.  I'm watching a (different) ferret in it now.  I'd set
it on the floor beside me after checking the spelling of Doskcil and Kouri
went into it.  He'd like out now, and I haven't opened the door yet, but
he doesn't seem inclined to bite at the wire.  The ferret who did so was a
6 month old.

But for anyone whose ferrets do bite at wire when exasperated, please
consider this when using/selecting this particular carrier.  By the way, I
opened the door and Kouri exited, but has now returned to the carrier and
looks like he plans to take a nap there.  Maybe he thinks when he wakes up
we'll be in Baltimore!

Georgia and her 5 overlyindulged little hobbies...