From:
Lise O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 14:57:20 -0700
Hello all!

1) A response to Jennifer regarding her views on adreanal tumors:
Let me begin by noting this is not a flame.  I understood Jennifer to be
voicing an opinion not fact, and she did so in a way that was to intended
to insult anyone.  That said, I do not totally agree with Jennifer.  Yes,
it is most probable those ferrets who are mistreated or fed improperly are
more likely to end up with adreanals or other tumors, insulinoma, etc.
Makes sense as humans who mistreat themselves are more likel to take sick.
What I do not agree with is the idea that ferrets who have adreanals, etc.,
are those from mistreated homes.  My guys are well cared for.  Up until
recently, they had the run of a room (singular, i.e., not whole house).
They also go to the vet's regularly and are feed quality food.  Still, I
had two adreanals (my Meisha survived one night, she was just too delicate;
Nonnie survived and is doing well) and one ferret (Sully) who I had to let
go to the Bridge because he was overridden with tumors.

Okay, so what is quality food.  *I* (and I stress *I* as in *me*) am not an
advocate of feeding ferrets cat food.  Eukabania seems to have a competent
quality kitten chow...I use ferret food.  Some insist we all use Totally
Ferret.  My guys hate the stuff and it not only stinks, but their poopies
smell (just the reaction with my guys, not a consensus of the whole populus
who's guys eat Totally Ferret).  I like Sheppard and Green because my guys
love it; it's quality food and after Meisha's allergic reaction to 8-in-One
back in Sept. 1997, I switched to S & G...her allergic reaction went away.
It's not the name brand, but what the food offers which makes it quality
food (taurine, circa 30% plusof protien; circa 17% fat; fish meal; meat
not meat by products...etc).  Yes, I am off topic here, but I added this
bit so not as to stir *another* food debate (which I may have done ANYWAY).

Back to the tumor "talk".  The best thing which can be said is we need
more research.  I was under the impression U.S. ferrets were more prone
to tumors due to early neutering.  From what I have read here (post from
Australia), I could be wrong.  Maybe we are seeing more tumors because we
are more educated than we were some years ago.  Again, to go back to what
I initially stated: we need more research.

To the fun stuff:

2) "Poopered Cooper".  I just returned from assisting on an education day
at our local PetCo.  My Cooper was totally poopered (Stacia, too, though
not as bad).  What a rough time these guys had, being the Embassadors for
the event; having to be cooed over and petted.  If only I could be so
lucky (lol).

3) New addition: While at PetCo, I added a new addition to the family.
Her name is Felicity.  She is quite large-bigger than my boys- but
extremely light.  She is also the most mellow of any ferret I've seen.
She just lays there doing nothing.  Her punk rock style is interesting:
purple fur and grey mask.

Have fun!

Lise and Domi, Nonnie, Stacia, Cooper, Dante, and now Felicity.