From:
Vickie McKimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 11:06:04 -0700
Here are some of the responses I received from the board.

#1) I'm probably going to come across as hard lined, especially since I've
been somewhat out of the loop on the ADV issue....BUT, in the interests of
not spreading the disease, it seems that ADV positive ferrets should NOT be
allowed to attend shows, unless it can be accomplished in such a way that
is 100% guaranteed to ensure the health of all other animals in attendance.
My suggestion would be for those people who have ADV+ ferrets that they
wish to adopt out to use the photo board method of display.  They could
bring their ferrets to their hotel and keep them there.  During the show,
they can interview prospective owners and make appointments for them to see
the ferrets at their hotel after the show.

As sympathetic as we as individuals might be to those inflicted with ADV in
their ferretries/shelters/colonies, as an organization we must unilaterally
stand for the protection of ferrets.  We can't compromise on that one, I
don't think.

Since I don't know the vendor, or who has ADV+ ferrets and who doesn't,
consider me, perhaps, the most unbiased voice here...

#2) Unfortunately it will look as though we are being prejudiced and you
know you will run into the questions of why others are there, etc.
Sometimes you have to take the matter in hand, if the individual does not
use good judgment and realize the harm they can do to others.

A show of this nature, draws not just seasoned ferret owners who know the
ropes but newcomers and the curious.  In our animal hospital I can tell you
that after each one of these expo shows in our area we are presented with
many sick reptiles, mice, rats, etc.  Suffering from a variety of upper
respiratory and other ailments.  People tend to buy on a whim more so at
these shows, something "new" something"exotic".." They come to see one
animal, but then get the "isn't that cute, I gotta have one" bug.  Not
all buyers, but a majority are inexperienced and uninformed.  Two bad
scenarios: Either they will quickly tire of the pet and the care it needs
and dump it at a shelter, or ferret math strikes as it has to all of us at
one time.  Then after owning a few, think they can make money and gets the
breeding bug.  If any of the ferrets are positive, this sets up a situation
where you can infect many.  As we have seen in the past you cannot rely on
the integrity of some individuals to properly inform people.  Some do not
even believe it is a big deal and will go ahead regardless.  We have to do
what will protect the ferrets.  You are going to hear something no matter
what decision is made.  In light of that I feel it is infinitely better to
hear it from one or two individuals than to (a) take the chance of
infecting many and spreading the disease or (b) having the people blame
the sanctioning organization for allowing ADV+ ferrets there and/ having
someone coming away infected.

Since not much is known yet about the strains or shedding period, this
disease opens a whole new can of worms.  Looking at it from all angles, I
agree with Chrissy 100% the best interest of the health of the ferrets AND
the unknowing public has to take precedence.

#3) While we don't know that this shelter is bringing any ADV+ ferrets to
be adopted out, we do know that ADV+ ferrets have been in their shelter
within the last 8 - 10 months.  The exposure risk is there and my vote is
to minimize any chance of exposure to other participants by not allowing
the shelter to bring any ferrets to adopt out.

Many show participants have no idea that certain persons have had ADV
positive ferrets in their households and many people have no idea what ADV
is and what the dangers may be.  I know there will be many new ferret
people in attendance.

I would not want AFA to take on the responsibility of exposing some one's
ferrets to ADV.

#4)Because of the recent problems with this person's ferrets, I think it is
only right that they bring proof of negative testing for all their ferrets
or they may not bring them.  All responsible ferret shelters have tested
and we should expect no less from anyone else.

#5)Sorry this is late, but here's my opinion anyway.  I think AFA's primary
responsibility is to protect ferrets coming into the show hall as best we
can.  If we know someone has (or had) ADV positive ferrets, than that
person should not be allowed to bring ferrets into AFA shows for a certain
period of time.  Seems like that's in the best interest of the ferrets that
will be attending the show.  I like the idea of suggesting that the person
be allowed to attend and bring photos of ferrets available for adoption.
That way we're offering an alternative and trying for the best in an
unhappy situation.  When you get right down to it, it seems like AFA gets
criticized no matter what we do, so we should do what we think is right.
At least that way we can live with our decisions.

#6)I agree with Sally and Chrissy.

And, as an after thought, everyone with ferrets at the Super Pet Expo
brought their ferrets through vet check and provided their vaccine
documentation.  Everyone, that is except Shirley and Clarence, who did
have their ferrets at the show.

If anyone has any concerns or questions, please feel free to contact me
directly, or post it here, as I have now subscribed to the fml.

Vickie

Vickie McKimmey
AFA President
AFA Shows & Special Events Director