From:
Karen Daigneault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:15:44 -0500
M.Max,
>Perhaps I'm misreading it?

Nope you were not.  Pet stores make it possible for places like MF to stay
in business.

Yes, and altho I do not necessarily agree with MF and their standards, there
are also other viewpoints involved.

I've had ferrets living in my home for over 15 years now.

Some of us have not had this luxury.  I have been ferret-owned going on
three years now.  At this point in time I do not remember what prompted me
to WANT a ferret, I know for fact it was not an impulse buy.

I have owned animals all of my life.  When I take on the responsibility of
an animal then they become a part of my family, and are respected as such.
I met the manager of a petstore close to my house that was very ferret
knowledgeable, and it was through him that I purchased Morrow, my first
ferret.  Before bringing her home, I learned through reading and through him
enough to be able to provide Morrow with the best home that I could.  I was
met (upon people finding out that I was buying a fuzzie) with "did you know
they are illegal?, did you know that they bite?  did you know that they
stink, did you know that you can't have small children around them?" On and
on.  One of the worst of these unknowledgeable commentators was my mother,
whom upon Morrow being there approximately one week turned her heart around
in a matter of 5 minutes.  My two big dogs had gone off barking to a knock
at the door and Morrow, this little teensy kit ran off right behind them
wardancing the whole way.

Shortly after, ferretmath struck and I purchased my second fert, Colours.

Both of these ferrets are MF Ferrets.  I now have a total of 6 MF ferrets.
Without access to the Internet, with my ONLY knowledge of purchasing a
ferret being through a petstore, I would not have had the experience, love
and laughter they have brought into my life.  Marshall Farms should not be
condoned for their practices, BUT my fuzzies are just as wonderful as anyone
else's.

(Shelters occupy a different place in the scheme of things in my mind
because their mission is to take in unwanted or displaced pets and I bless
them for it).

And I agree with this.  I would, one day, like to have a ferret shelter
myself.

The people I don't understand are the ones that buy that cute kit and then
are surprised at the cost of the medical care ect when not.  That is the
concept of pets that I think pet stores promote.

This can happen in ANY situation of purchasing a ferret.  Where Ferret
Shelters are very responsible in regards to who they are adopting out to,
petstores are basically in it for the money.  In this respect I agree with
you, without a doubt.  Nevertheless, there will ALWAYS be someone,
somewhere, that regardless of *how careful* we all are, that a ferret or any
animal in this respect will not be taken care of properly.  The other side
of the coin is that there ARE some of us out here that are very responsible
parents, that did/would NOT have the opportunity without a petstore.  So,
there is definitely a fine line there.

I have no "answers" in regards to "what to do" in a situation such as the
difference in opinion.  I am the first one to stand up against the practice
of people not taking care of their pets properly.  But, nevertheless, for
some of us, this was our route to take.  And will continue to be for alot of
responsible owners looking to find a ferret.

Karen and her 6 wardancing fools!