From:
Vesna Kovach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 13:32:59 +0000
>I have heard several recommendations about using clear dryer hose for
>ferrets to play in, and I want to ask for some input from those of you who
>are using it.  What lengths are you using?

I have found the Ferret Highway by Shepherd and Greene to be well worth the
pricetag (about $25).  It's much more sturdy than the actual dryer hose we
had before.  It comes in a 25 foot length.  We attached one end to a ferret
ball.  The ferrets love it, love it, love it!

>Any problems with larger fuzzies getting trapped inside?

Haven't had any problem.  Even the biggest can pass each other in the tube.

>Do you do anything to provide ventilation inside?
>(punch holes, limit lengths, etc.) Has anyone lost a baby to suffocation in
>these tubes?

No, and not that I know of.

>Any other info you'd care to share about using dryer hose, pro or con, or
>safety tips?

Safety tip: DO NOT curl the end of the wire.  This does NOT make it safer;
it makes it more DANGEROUS.

Many people will curl the tip of the wire with pliers to protect the ferret
from the sharp tip.  However, this just creates a hook.  A hook is far more
dangerous than a straight wire.  It is harder to extract and can do more
damage inside the flesh.  That's why spear points and arrowheads are barbed.

Instead, just cover the tip with a generous flap of duct tape and replace as
necessary.

Have fun!

Vesna Kovach
Editor, Madison Pet Gazette
(608) 249-8707

If you love animals, you'll love the Madison Pet Gazette!
Now featuring: Cameron the ferret's change of heart...nail clipping
 tips...ferret bite law reform...protect your pet from
common household toxins..."If I were a favored cat"..."My schnauzers: the
 guardians of the yard"...more

Go ahead, click on over to http://www.petgazette.net (it rhymes!)
Cover story changes often!