From:
Andrea Frink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 10:58:26 -0600
Hello,

I have a problem and was hoping maybe some of you could shed some light on
this.

I have spent the last week nursing my very sick ferret, Wylie, back to
health.  He had exploratory surgery and the vet said he had a colon
infection, they kept him 3 days then sent him home with us saying there was
nothing they could do that I couldnt do at home for him.He is 5 1/2 yrs old.

When I brought him home he couldnt walk, eat, drink, went to the bathroom on
himself, it was the most heart wrenching thing to see, everday there was a
slight improvement and finally this saturday I felt he was back to his
normal self, except for being a little weak and still very skinny.

The problem: I decided to put him back in his room with his 2 brothers and 3
sisters on monday, so on saturday I decided to let him out of the cage hes
been in and play with the others for a few minutes and was completly taken
back at what happened.

As soon as I put him on the floor and his sister saw him she promptly
grabbed the scruff of his neck and started thrashing around, he screamed, I
grabbed him away, put her away and tried again, next his brother did the
same thing,,,,,,,,,,,,I was crying at this time wondering how my babies
could have forgotten their brother who had lived with them for over 5 years
in 1 week, they were initiating him just like a new kit was brought into the
household.  I didnt let any others bit him but I did test out to see if all
of them would by holding him and letting the others sniff and him and they
all tried to bit him (except for one but he never did attack the new kits),
all my ferrets are over 5 yrs old and have alway gotten along wonderfully, I
must admit I was angry at them for being so mean when just 1 week ago I
thought he was going to die, poor thing.

I guess my question is, is it possible for them to have forgotten him so
soon?  or could it be something else?  Has anyone else had this happen?
what did you do?

Whenever I got new kits they had to go through the routine of being "beat
up" until they were accepted but I cant possible put Wylie through that
because he is still weak and skinny but I also dont want to keep him in the
little cage hes been away, it was fine when he was sick but now that hes
well he doesnt want to be in that small cage,,,,,,any suggestions?

Thank you all for listening, any responses welcome

Big hugs from my fuzzies to all yours

Andrea

Simon,Bandit,Wylie,Pebbles,Dixie,Belle

p.s.  I would be curious to see how people have set up their ferret rooms,
anyone have any pictures?