From:
Dawn Tepley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 15:24:12 -0500
Hi All,

Got a question this time.  I have been using Stevia extract, for a sweetner
alternative to sugar & honey.  Stevia is a herb that is 200-400 times
sweeter than sugar, and can help your immune system.  I put either Stevia
extract in the form of a dark liquid or as a sugarlike form in coffee, tea,
fruit, cereal, and on any foods or beverages that need to be sweetened.  I
know that people give Pedialyte or Gatorade to ferrets that are dehydrated
or just won't drink.  Has anyone ever given ferrets Stevia in water or
something similar that is unsweetened to ferrets as a healthier alternative
to Pedialyte or Gatorade?  When I get my ferrets next month, they will be
traveling to me by airplane and I do not want them to have to drink either
Children's Pedialyte or Gatorade if they are dehydrated or not drinking
water.  They contain harmful additives & preservatives that even my family
does not drink it.  I want, instead, to give them Stevia in an unsweetened
fruit juice if the problem arises.  I just want to see if anyone has done
this before with good results or not.  My vet I have currently for my cats
& dogs has not even heard of Stevia (as my human doc has not either -even
tho Stevia has been on the health food market for years) and said I could
go ahead and try it.  I want the opinion of the FML tho, because if it has
been proven to harm pets, I will not risk it.

Bright Blessings,
Heidi T.