Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:41:57 -0700
Oh how I love reading the stories of getting picked!

In November 2001, I traveled from San Francisco, CA to Friends of
Fuzzies shelter in Bend, OR. looking to adopt a ferret or two or
three...(you know how the story goes!). When I went into the shelter,
Kristine (shelter Mom), had a group on 25 ferrets out running and
playing in the cupboards, tubes, and toys scattered around the floor
of the shelter. Talk about crazy ferret play! I had never seen so many
ferrets in one room; I was so excited! Before coming to the shelter I
had my eye on one specific ferret that I wanted to meet and possibly
adopt. Kristine and I had had several telephone conversations and she
had chosen one that she thought would be a good fit.

Once there, I entered the play ground and a handful of ferrets came
over to me. Some took a general sniff, found I wasn't too exciting and
went on their way. A few others stuck around wanting to be cuddled or
given a treat. Then all of a sudden here came this white dust cloud,
jumping and dooking all around me! This little guy was so excited
dancing around, he practically fell over his own feet! We laughed at
this little ball of fur who had lots to say! A few hours later I had
finally 'chosen' my new forever friend (and it wasn't the one Kristine
had initially picked out), when this little crazy white cooool whiippp!
(as he became known in our house because he was whipped up crazy like
creamy cool whip!) came over, crawled up my shirt, past my shoulder
and onto the top of my head where he ceremoniously began scratching
purposefully as if looking for a bandit treat hidden away on my hairy
head! Kristine and I laughed at his crazy self and then we realized
that he was saying, "No, No! Take me! I am crazy, funny and promise to
bring you lots of laughs!". How could I resist!?!? Hank [aka Cooool
Whiiipppp! Hanky Spank!] lived with us for over 5 1/2 years before
succumbing to the dreaded insulinoma and IBD. He was one special
ferret that chose me. I will never forget that day.

RIP to all the beloved babies at the bridge.

Tanya