From:
"Bryan P. Coffey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 08:41:16 -0400
A few people have posted about ways to prevent ferrets from overheating
during the day.  Especially while us slaves are at work earning raisins.
I leave the central air conditioning on when it is too hot, but I don't
like to (cost and energy expenditure).  I have come up with a solution,
but haven't found the right pieces of hardware in a garage sale yet (or
the time).  I hold no patent on the following (and know of none - did a
quick patent search), so feel free to duplicate the CRITTER COOLER for
personal use or sale.

(WARNING: MECHANICAL/DO-IT-YOURSELF CONFIDENCE/SKILL IS NEEDED)

Requirements:
        Mini-refridgerator (smaller the better)
        Household thermostat (one function type best)
        Wood (to make box)
        Hammocks (guess what for)
        Wire mesh (ferret proofing)

1) Remove the door of the fridge and replace with a wooden box extention.
2) Cut a few holes in the box (ferret sized, at least two at different
   heights for aireation)
3) Disconnect the thermostat on the compressor and replace with household
   thermostat inside the box (So the cooler will cool to 75 degrees
   (Farenheit) rather than 40 degrees).  If you can find one with a large
   fuzzy range (think fuzzy logic, not fuzzy ferret logic), it would be
   more efficient.
4) Armour the back of fridge with wire mesh (thermostat too if you don't
   want the ferrets to adjust the settings).
5) Install hammocks (inside box preferably).

If done carefully, both the fridge and the thermostat can be returned to
normal service latter.  Maintaining 75 degrees rather than 40 degrees in a
small enclosed area is very easy for most food cooling systems and with
only require a fraction of the energy that the small fridge would
ordinarily require.

ADDITIONAL: For real coolness, add a small heating pad built into the wall
of the box and replace the simple thermostat with a dual (heat & a/c)
thermostat so the Critter Cooler can be used during the winter too for
heating.

If anyone trys this, or has already done so, please let me know.  Someday
if an old dorm fridge ends up in my lap, I want to build a Critter Cooler.
I can also lend technical advice.

            Bryan P. Coffey - Boston, MA
            http://www.gis.net/~bpcoffey
      Weasel Warriors - Albi, Esef, Merri, and Mint
        http://www.gis.net/~bpcoffey/furball.html