From:
Carol J Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 23:08:31 -0700
Hooray for Liz and mentioning using her Vita-Mix for the gravy. I use
mine also but do the first step of chopping the cooked chicken into a
gruel in the Cuisinart food processor first. It save some wear and tear
on the container of the Vita-Mix.

Now, I realize not everyone can buy a Vita-Mix at about $400 minimum
($360 at Costco when they have a demo there) but recently I watched an
infomercial with Montel Williams selling his Health Master which is
similar and only $200 if you ordered right then. I would like to know
if anyone has one of them and how do you like it? It seems that could
be a way to make good smooth gravy for a lot less.

I use an old Mirro second-hand aluminum pressure cooker for the chicken
bones. I bought a new gasket but it doesn't do as good a job at sealing
it as the original so I still use the one it had but I did replace the
fuse. The important thing about using a pressure cooker is to wait
until all the air is exhausted and you see only steam coming from the
vent before putting on the pressure guage or weight. If you have a hard
time seeing the steam hold a pan lid or spatula above the vent and
watch the steam condense on it.

I also have a Nordicware Tender Cooker pressure cooker which is good
for people foods, just put it in the microwave for the prescribed times
but did not have good success with the chicken bones. Maybe it doesn't
get hot enough; the recipes are tested with a 700 watt MW so I use my
smaller oven for it.

Carol J. Owens
Ferret Friends, Inc.
Tucson AZ