From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:56:54 -0500
I've seen a few references to proglycem on the fml lately, regarding its
expense and bad taste.  So I just thought some folks might be interested
in a new concoction from my pharmacist that A) is less costly, and B) my
ferret likes!  The proglycem is in an oil that smells to me like a mixture
of sesame oil and cod liver oil (I'm not sure exactly what it is).

My Alfalfa is the only ferret I have ever known who dislikes anything
sweet, so nature dealt him a cruel fate when he got insulinoma.  Several
times I've had to bring him out of a hypoglycemic episode with honey water
or Nutrical, and he is so repulsed by having sweet stuff forced into his
mouth that I feel like a cruel human.  He has to take prednisone and
proglycem twice a day, plus Pepcid AC for his tummy.  But now, with this
new proglycem formulation, he actually looks forward to taking it!  And
he hasn't had a hypoglycemic episode since he's been on the new stuff,
which may be just coincidence, but I'd like to think that his being more
receptive to taking it is helpful.

This pharmacist is in the Bronx (New York).  If anyone would like more
details, just let me know.

Nancy and critters