From:
Cynthia ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:22:08 -0400
As a ferret Mommy of Slightly Used Ferrets and an occasional shelter
helper, I've heard the horror stories, hated yet forgiven folks who
have hurt or neglected these small animals, laughed at antics that can
only come from ferrets, and yes, cried about injustices to them, loss
and mistreatment, whether intentional or through ignorance. But more
than anything, I have fallen in love with one of Gods most interesting
critters. Despite rough starts, so many of these little furballs turn
around, keep their faith in people, and even love us again. Their
resilience is incredible.

Taz is a sweetie, surrendered to the shelter, and now my very special
kid. There are more kisses in him everyday than a five pound bag of
Hersheys. He's learning how to live in a family home. He has discovered
kitty cats, but is unsure if they are going to eat him, play with him,
or if they, in fact, are the other white meat. The dog must be avoided
at all costs, though I caught him grooming her foot today. (Don't
worry, I won't tell anyone (else) Taz.) He has not got a lot of muscle,
as he didn't get out much at his old home. I let him out in two hour
stints three times a day to exercise. At times he is wobbly, but
gaining strength by the day.

When Taz is out, I have been doing some things around the house. I want
him to be used to things going on all the time, normal noises of a true
home, in hopes he will become less afraid. He wanders with me. close
enough to see me and know where I am always. A lot of times, I have to
do the fuzzy shuffle so I don't step on him by accident. I stop in the
kitchen clear the counter of dishes, Taz comes by and I feel a cool paw
on my foot. "I'm here, Momma." I can almost hear him say. I say hello,
and pet him a few times. With that little reassurance, he wanders off
exploring the kitchen, the sun room and living room that are wide open
to each other, and he can always see me. Every so often, the cool
little paw again. " Hi Mom". I pet him every time hoping this will
reassure him, and will keep the stress of the new environment to a
minimum for him. I know in his old home, he was alone a lot. I want
him to know I'm here for him.

I wander down the hall, I hear the pitter patter coming behind me. I
know he is probably getting tired. After living confined for so long,
it will take a while to be up to full strength. I sit in my desk chair,
my other ferts know I keep the treats in the desk drawer. Taz hasn't
figured it out yet, but still comes to put a paw on my foot for
reassurance. I pet him again. I discovered earlier that though he puts
a paw on my foot, he is not asking to be picked up, he just wants to
be sure I know he's there. I do pick him up though, pet him more and
ask him if he wants a treat. Now what ferret would refuse? I break a
chicken stick in half, give him half and set him down. he goes to a
blanket I have beside the desk for my fuzz kids. I figure he'll just
eat his treat then maybe snooze there. Nope. after a minute, I feel a
very interesting feeling between my toes. It can be likened to itching
with a pen, but somehow moister, fuzzier. I look down. Taz is happily
enjoying his chicky stick with a side of toe jam. Not so sure this is
good for him, but he seems content! Now some folks might have a problem
with this, as for me, I laugh. When he finishes his snack, I feel this
little fuzzy head and left front paw drape across my foot. I look down.
He's snoozing and there is the fuzzy smile of bottom teeth.

Chicky sticks between my toes? Oh yeah, I love it.....As for Taz, if it
makes him more comfy, I'm ever so glad. My heart swells again, knowing
he trusts me, and I just love him all the more.

Cindy & the Slightly Used Gang