From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 10:45:37 -0600
You may have missed the postings several months ago, but ECE has arrived in
New Mexico.  Some students at UNM have ferrets that have come into contact
with it and gotten, as you would expect, very, very sick.  I know it's a
long-distance phone call, but if you would like more information, you can
call my vet, Dr. Doak, at (505) 298-7444.  In at least one case, it appea rs
to have come from a newly purchased kit from a local pet store who had been
exposed and had developed an immunity to it -- all the other ferrets in the
family got deathly ill.

Because of ECE, as much as I would love to see Disney World and get together
with other ferret lovers and their fuzzies, as long as my girls haven't had
ECE, I don't want to take the risk of exposing them to other ferrets who may
have been exposed to it but are not yet or no longer ill.  I don't want to
see my girls emaciated from deydration and their insides not working.  A
sick pet is just about one of the most heartbreaking things in the world to
me.  And a sick ferret is especially alarming, because they're so small,
they just don't have that much extra weight to lose.

Linda