Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:28:30 EDT
Hi Everyone,
My name is Krys, I'm pretty new to your group, just 10 days old.)
I have a story I'd like to share.

Roughly two weeks ago while working in Broward County, Florida my xhusband
(John) encountered two ferrets caged on the back porch of a private
residence.  The ferrets were neglected, ill, and the cage was in utter
filth.  (magots and the works!) he called me on the tele and asked if I
could take them in, Of course I did.

He went back to the residence and talked to the resident of the home.
Although this man knew the ferrets were ill and that he did not have time
for them, knowing what they were worth he would not give them away so my
John bought the man off.  After a five hour trip from Broward to Spring
Hill the ferrets arrived.

I was enraged at their condition.  The male is a kit although the exact age
is really hard to tell because of his malnurishment.  He didn't move alot
but his signs looked good I was pretty sure he would recover.  The female
however, is a big older and larger was in distress.  Her eyes were glassy
and looked blank, her coat was brittle and dry and she had a growth the
size of a quarter comming out of the side of her neck.  This growth was
pink and kinda looked like a small brain or a bunch of grapes.  I was not
sure what to do, I have had a ferret before, but besides vacc's he was
always in perfect health.  It being a sunday, and Spring Hill being a rather
small country type town.  I could not find anyone to look at these two.
Even the emergency places were closed!  (Which considerably enraged me
because apparently emergencies aren't supose to happen on sunday in Spring
Hill.)  Since she had lived this long with the growth I decided to wait
until monday to see a vet, but took her to an ICU nurse for inspection.  I
also got on my much beloved interent and began a quest to find someone out
there who had more knowledge about this kinda thing than I.

Sure enough I found Ferret Central and wrote to "Pam" who put me in contact
with "Lisa, Head Ferret The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea", unfortunatly none
of her contacts for vets were anywhere close to me, but because of the
information she provided, I am happy to say that both ferrets are alive and
well.  Both consume Sustical and a high quality cat food also each receive
ferretone and raisins.

The male now known as Tuxedo is quite a happy ferret very playful and the
most spastic thing I have seen in a very long time.  He jumps into walls
and climbs everywhere.  Good luck catching this guy once he gets a head
start.

The female is now known as Woosel.  After being turned away by at least
12-15 vets, I found "Midway Animal Hospital" in Homasassa Florida (which
is roughly an hour in a half away and is constantly busy.)  Woosel finally
got in to see Dr. Limarie Rodriguez.  Dr Rodriguez conducted an immediate
surgery on Woosel.  The entire process took alittle more than a hour
however her tumor was removed and is benign (YEA!)  She's got quite a few
little plastic stitches and is very upset she can't play with Tuxey, but
other than that she's really great.

If by some slim chance Lisa and Pam see this post, THANKS ALOT!  *HUGS*
Also you might want to consider adding Dr. Rodriguez to your list of
ferret vets since she is very ferret friendly !  You can reach her at
1-352-795-7110 :)
[Moderator's note: The chances of them seeing this post aren't all that
slim ;-)  BIG]

My daughter and I attended open house at her school last night and she told
her science teacher about Woosel.  The science teacher was looking to get a
ferret for her class before school started but was unable to.  She asked us
to bring Tuxedo and Woosel in to share with her class.  When we do so I
would have no problem in handing out eductional info on ferrets or shelter
info.  If someone in the Florida area would like to send some my way.  Who
knows maybe well be able to help a few more ferrets get some really cozy
homes.

Other stuff:
>(Ron Aka Fuzzie Dad) Most ferrets stop growing in size at about 16-17
>weeks.  They may add bulk after that, but not usually Marshall Farms
>babies.

Why is that?  Also my two beauties both have the blue dots in there ears,
that is not only a MF signature is it?  Don't other breeders use the same
call sign?

(Don in Tucson, AZ)
>What about meat in a ferret's diet, is this a good thing to do?

I read that giving ferrets raw meat was inviting trouble and makes some of
them mean because it sorta activates their instinct to hunt there own food.

(Kymberlie Barone)
>I've been told that someone with influence regarding new beanies HATES
>ferrets and refuses to create one

As a beanie collector that was disheartening, I've experienced more than my
share of Ferret prejudice since I adopted my two ankle nibblers.

(Eric Winship)
>I just wanted to say whoever came up with the rice box idea " I love you
>man"!

What rice box idea :(  ...... the post must have been before my time.

++Mark Johnson++

Good Luck... I dunno why California law is so ignorant but with all the
abused animals you'd think they would have someone else to trackdown.

Ok that's all from me ... Thanks for putting up with this very long post.

Krys , Megan, Tuxedo and Woosel.

New Place, New House, New Family,  New Life  :)