From:
J Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 12:58:04 -0400
At 09:49 5/23/00 -0600, Betty wrote:

>Last night I get a call from the woman who I am babysitting the ferrets
>for.  She wants to know if it is okay if she brings over the newest
>acquisition to her ferret family.  I am absolutely flabbergasted.

I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist, but she seems to be displaying
some of the negative characteristics of an animal collector.  It's one of
the many manifestations of obsessive compulsive disorder.  Letting someone
else keep and care for the animals is a bit of an odd twist though.  If I'm
right, you can expect even more animals from her.  You're between a rock
and a hard place.

I'd suggest as a minimum that you draft a written agreement for her to
sign stipulating that she will repay you for *ALL* expenses incurred while
housing her animals.  This means food, medical, disposable litter, etc.
Try to include wording that sets either a clear time limit or dollar
limit (or both) and that if these are exceeded the animals are subject to
being adopted out to permanent homes at your sole discretion with no
reimbursement to her.  Then hope she exceeds those limits.  The point here
is not so much to recoup your expenses, but to set up a mechanism for
legally removing these animals from her permanently and placing them in
permanent homes.  If she straightens up you don't have to use the trigger
clause, but I really don't think you have seen the last animal from this
woman.  I hope I am wrong.  If I'm not she is probably going to put you in
a real emotional and financial bind.  You should be commended for
protecting the ferrets, but you need to find a way to protect yourself too.
I'm probably thinking more of the emotional aspects than the financial when
I say that.

--
Jim H