From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 21:47:12 -0500
Having read so many sad ferret stories lately I thought it was time for a
few ferret funny stories.

I'm not sure if I have the ultimately spoiled ferret, but she's got to rank
up there pretty high.  She knows that if I am sitting at the computer
wearing sweat pants, and she begs enough, that I will take off the pants I'm
wearing, and put them on the floor next to me so she can sleep in them and
be near me.

Spoiled again!  Spoiled ferret gets to sleep in the bed with us at night.
Our spoiled ferret knows that if she should need a drink in the middle of
the night, all she has to do is wake me up, and I will get her a fresh bowl
of water, or sometimes if she really badgers me, a drink from the faucet in
the sink.  Normally the drink from the sink is only during the day.  If I go
near the bathroom and she wants a drink, she will stand on the floor by the
cabinet under the sink, look up, stand up, and lick my toes until I put her
near the sink.  Then I have to hold my hand under the water so she can drink
out of my hand.

**Notice to owner who was afraid their older ferret was getting senile when
the ferret woke him/her up in the middle of the night to get a treat.  This
is a ferret trick!  They test you to see what they can get you to do, and
then continue to expect it.  If said expectation is not met, ferrets are
great at revenge!  Don't give in!!

Things my ferret has tried to take...  the funniest sight I have seen is
when our ferret opened up a kitchen cupboard, climbed into the 12 pack box,
and pulled out her own can of Coke by the pull tab.  What is even funnier is
that we were sitting on the couch in the living room at the time, and
suddenly we see our ferret doing the backward ferret scoot, pulling a full
can of Coke!  We definitely have a Cokeaholic!

To owners wondering how old ferrets can get?  Ours will be 7 in January, and
is in good health.  She's had one adrenal removed, and is taking Lysodren to
control problems with the other adrenal.  She developed several Mast cell
tumors 6 months ago that were surgically removed.  The vet believes the
Lysodren dose was too high and was causing problems, a decrease in the
dosage seemed to have helped.  I've seen some remarkable weasel war dances
lately, so even the senior ferrets keep on ticking liking the Energizer
Bunny!

Since we are CA residents we'd rather not admit who we are yet.  But it
sounds like that day will come soon when we can take off the masks!

Masked ferret (and Cokeaholic)
  and the Masked ferret owner