Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:08:55 -0500
When I had my first ferret, Sammie, I was an avid scuba diver. Most
weekends I was headed for the lake or the gulf. I thought nothing of
leaving the cat and dog with food and water for the weekend, but when I
got a ferret I realized he would need overnight care so he would stay
at my mom's house.

Sammie had originally been owned by my brother's EMT partner, who kept
him in a cage with no toys and only a towel to sleep in, a water bottle
and a bowl of food. He slept a lot, but when he came to me I let him
out to run. He typically hid somewhere or found his way outside (twice)
before I discovered the small hole in the screen door about two feet
over my head! Then he went to sleep! (I spent a lot of time walking
through the surrounding woods and neighborhood with a flashlight in
one hand and a food dish in the other back then - in 1993.)

So, imagine my surprise when I call my mom one Sat. to see how things
are going with Sammie and she tells me how mopey he is. I run through
all the uh-oh stuff and then tell her to let me talk to him. She puts
the phone up to his ear (this is considered normal behavior in my
family) and we talk. Mom said that he perked up and was fine for the
rest of the day. So, I called him the next day to say I was going to
be home soon.

From then on, Sammie got a phone call anytime I was gone and it helped
him to hear my voice and know that I wasn't dumping him. I also leave a
pair of socks and t-shirts that I have worn when I go away. They have
my scent and can be kept in zplock baggies if the trip is more than a
couple of days. Seems to help some.

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the