From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 11:25:37 -0700
Being a shelter never stops.  There are always feedings, play times,
loves, cleaning, adoptions and surrenders.  And you know what?  I
wouldn't trade it for the world!

Saturday we received 3 ferrets in the shelter.  All boys, all just over
a year old - very healthy and playful.  Hewey, Chewey and Mikey (you
thought I was gonna say Dewey!).  There family was moving to Germany and
couldn't take them.  They drove 3 hours one way to place them with us.
The ferrets are doing great.

My Mothers Day was filled with a drive 2 hours one way to pick up more
rescues.  Here is their story:

We were contacted by another small animal shelter that someone had
rescued 4 older breeder ferrets from a backyard breeder (they were even
kept outside!).  These little ones were kept outside at least the last
several months.  We were told their ages are around 5 - 6 years old.  2
males and 2 females.  They all need to be fixed and that one might be
pregnant.  The other one is in heat.  None are descented.

Upon getting them we were shocked.  They were filthy (the other rescue
had just received them for transport to us and didn't have a chance to
clean them at all).

They also didn't have names... so we named them...

Dale - smaller male.  Looks like he could be a cinnamon or a DEW.  Has
fur loss, appears to be from rubbing on the group because he was so
dirty.  He smells the worst.  2 pounds 7 1/2 ounces

Chip - larger male.  DEW.  Appears healthy and his coat looked much
better after a bath.  A little nippy but he just wants to play and
doesn't know the difference.  He has some hair loss on his tail but
appears to be from being dirty for so long.  2 pounds 7 1/2 ounces

Charlie - bigger girl.  She looks like a silver.  She is the one that
they said might be pregnant, though I am not sure as to why.  She is a
sweetie also.  1 pound 7 ounces

Delta - smaller girl.  She also looks like a silver (spotted silver).
She may weighed only 6-8 ounces when we got her.  Very skinny.  She
doesn't have much energy either and of course can't keep warm.  She is
eating regular kibble and a lot of it.  You can see all of her ribs and
she has a hard time moving.  She now weighs 1 pound 3 ounces.

They were ADV tested by us before coming into the house.  ADV Test were
negative.

After a bath and nail clippings for all, the boys got their ears done.
The girls got their ears done the following day.  I didn't do their ears
because I was afraid of stressing them out too much (and the girls ears
weren't too bad).  The boys are separated from the girls.  Each group was
allowed out time to play that first night.  Delta just slept in a blankie
on my lap when the girls had their time out.  The girls also ate some
baby food mix.  All are eating regular kibble as well.

All are around 5 years old.

They went in for their vet visit on Wednesday.  Delta will be spayed
on Tuesday.  We are unsure about Charlie right now since she might be
pregnant.  If she is, then we will let her have the kits.  The cost
for each female is around $150.  So, on the bill is goes!  The males
will be next at $70 a pop!

They are all doing really well.  Up playing and eating and wanting
attention.  I will have pictures and stuff on our site next week.  We are
looking at just placing the them (the breeder ferrets) in forever homes
after they are fixed.  We would only ask for donation to the vet for the
adoption fee.  We would also like to keep the girls together, and then
the boys together if possible.

"Ferrets are the Spice of Life"
Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter