From:
Robb Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:53:35 EST
[log in to unmask] said:
>I was hoping to hear from some other people who have had adrenal surgery
>done on their 5+ year old ferrets and their opinions/observations/results.

Short version: Adopted 6-1/2 year old pair.  Original owner rarely let them
out of their cage.  In my house, most animals are uncaged most of the time.
2nd owner (family) rarely let them out of their cage because the ferrets
drove their large dog crazy.  Male is blind (& seems no one noticed);
female, bad biter, totally hairless on back end of her body (I was told
that she had been shaved by the vet; when I took them to my vet at the
time, adrenal tumors were diagnosed).  Surgery (Dr Kawasaki in Va) -- left
adrenal removed; right adrenal mostly removed (adherence to the main blood
vessel precludes full removal).  Prognosis is that tumors will recur, but
by then age may rule out further surgery.  Short-term prednisone (& maybe
another med -- can't remember) use.  Vicious biter becomes lovey-dovey
kisser who lives for 3+ more years.  Not sure how typical this is, just my
experience with adrenals.

Kiki, Elmo, Hannah, Sylvester, Juliana, Bean, Sophie (ferrets), owners of
Tom