From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:42:54 +1300
[Courtesy copy sent to the author]

Hello Raymond,

You Write:
>What is the best product avalilable to keep a ferret/home/litter smelling
>good.

I find the following helps (although I personally don't mind the musky
smell):

* Bathing.  But not too often as it tends to make the glands work overtime
and can actually make them smell worse!  I usually bath the ferrets every
six weeks or so, or if they are going out next day into the public arena.
I also use a small animal shampoo.

* Deodoriser.  Lambert Kaye makes a deodoriser for ferrets, but I
personally use the one they (Lambert Kaye) make for dogs "Scent To Stay"
(nicer smell and pressurised bottle).  They are designed to be sprayed
directly onto the animal.  Again I only give them a spray if they are
going to be mingling with the public (and then only very lightly).

* Bedding.  Change the bedding often.  Two or three times a week is usual
for me.  I also impregnate the bedding with the deodoriser, which gives the
ferret, its bedding and the room a subtle smell of the deodoriser.

* The best litter I have found is the pelleted, recycled newspaper, but
there may be better products, since we have a very limited choice here in
NZ.  I find that the pellets absorb well, control odour and does not get
trampled into the carpet.

Hope that's of some help to you.

Regards,
David, Thor, Grover & Lady Penelope

David Holender
The Open Polytechnic Of New Zealand
+64 (04) 560 5760

Foundation member of Ferret PAWS (NZ) Inc.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Village/9074/