From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:26:47 -0500
I just wanted to thank all those who posted their concerns about Marshall,
the debate, and ferret lab subjects in either camp.  Each of these issues
tend to be passionate and controversial.  I want to be clear that no
individual should be subjected to *any* ridicule, threats, etc..  One can
clearly see the earnest passion in which much of these arguments are framed
and each individual's opinion or belief is as valid as the next.  I agree
with BIG that this round is perhaps one of the most congenial in sometime.
And although some appear bent on drawing these or any arguments into
something less appropriate can simply be ignored.  I would like to share
this advice with all concerned.  It has helped me in communicating the
points instead of the pointless:

Please, if a particular post touches upon an issue you feel passionate about
or in some way offends your values or beliefs, give yourself sometime to
reflect and consider what's being said and what you would like to convey in
response.  Some--read more than I care to recall--time ago, a professor
adopted this tenet and issued his students to wait 24 hours before
responding to a particular grade or reviewed paper.  Many students who
originally bitched and moaned over this rule have come to appreciate this
practice in retrospect.  I was one of these students.  This practice has
often saved me from myself and required much less pedal-oral extraction.
Perhaps some of you will find this lesson of equal value.

Remember it is usually more challenging and rewarding to participate than
to sit by idly.  I sincerely believe this forum (read "list" for the
dictionarily challenged <G> ) offers a great opportunity to explore,
exchange, and learn new ideas and information.  Try to keep a sense of
humor, your wits, and a small furry object nearby.

For Kodo, our special companions, and *all* the ferrets with no names.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi

PS  And for those wishing to enter the world of the professionally anal
retentive, you need to know there are *no* second chances.