Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:54:14 -0500
In regards to the new distemper vaccine that Sukie mentioned, the one that
hasn't had any reactions in zoo critters.  Sukie suggested that people
write to the company to ask for the vaccine to be released for domestic
ferret use.  I've been talking about that with a friend who works in the
vet community.  For Merial to even consider getting the vaccine approved
for ferrets, a costly procedure, they need to know that there's a market
for it.  They need to know that there's money to be had out there.
Unfortunately, if individual ferret owners write, it doesn't mean much.
What we need is to have vets write in, questioning the availability and
telling Merial that they are tired of Fervac reactions and want a safer
vaccine.  If they show that there are a whole lot of ferret owners out
there, and they'll have records to back it up, then maybe Merial will see
the light.

SO: I suggest that all ferret clubs and associations send out requests to
their ferret friendly vets and ask that they write to Merial about this
vaccine.  If we can inspire as many vets as possible to write, maybe we
can get the wheel turning on this.

I've copied the address from Sukie's post:
Dr. Zack Mills, Director of Marketing
Merial Ltd.
115 Transtech Drive
Athens, GA 30601

Get to your computers, Club and Association people!  We can make this
happen.

Anastasia

PS: Apparently the packaging for the Fervac vaccine 'suggests'
premedicating with Benadryl to prevent reaction.  Point this out to your
vet if he doesn't offer to premedicate himself.