From:
Ellen Van Landingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 12:12:26 +0000
Linda Doran asked:
>I sprinkled a spoonful of brewer's yeast on my ferrets' food last
>night, and now they don't seem to want to eat it.  How do I get them
>to like this stuff?

I don't know how other folks do it, but we have had great success making
Weasel Sludge for our fuzzies.  Dissolve 1-2T Brewer's yeast (the stuff we
get already has garlic in it; check your favorite vet supply catalog) in 1
cup of chicken/beef/veal broth.  Be sure to use *unsalted* broth; we make
our own, and it usually has more vegetables than chicken in it (but don't
tell the ferrets!).  Store covered in refrigerator; heat before serving
(microwave works well for this).  Serve in a small bowl or from a dropper.
We give ours about 1 tsp.  daily as a bedtime treat -- slightly more for
geriatric or ill animals.  They like it better than raisins.  And does it
help?  Ask me about our almost-8-year-old Pet Pals rescue who thinks she's
a kit!

Hope this helps,
ellen & the Gang of Four
Banjo (I am not old, I'm *aged*, like fine wine!)
Rip Van Weasel (yawn... oh, sludge!  I'm awake, I'm awake!)
Mike's Fault (gimme that dropper!  gimme!  gimme!  gimme!)
Possume (oh boy, sludge!  I knew I was going to like it here!)