From:
ShocknIn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:22:59 EST
I would like some advice or suggestions on a new ferret that is going to
join my household tomorrow.  I went to my local petshop today to purchase
some tropical fish.  I know the owner and since she knows I have and love
ferrets wanted me to see what was brought into her shop this week by
someone, a severly malnourished male albino ferret.

This little guy is horrible to look at he is skin & bones.  His coat is
rough & he has a slight bald patch on his tail.  I became ill after she
told me his story.  Seems some young woman brought him to the petshop
saying she found him in an apartment she was moving into.  He was in rusted
old cage with no food and water.  I cannot believe how cruel and evil
people can be in this world.  This young lady sold him to the petshop and
to the credit of the petshop owner she bought him to rescue him and knew
I'd proably take him.

I came home & phoned my vet's emergency number and discussed this little guy
with her (it's Sunday evening.) She suggested I not bring him home with me
tonight ( because I have 2 ferrets at home now.) Instead make arrangements
to pick him up early tomorrow morning and bring him straight away to her
office.  I made arrangements with my petshop owner friend to pick him up
before the store opens.

My vet is going to assess his condition tomorrow and do any all all tests
necessary.  I will let you know.  Now here is my question: if his only
problem is starvation I'm sure my vet will have a high calorie diet for him
to be on but I would like other suggestions to fattened this fellow up?  I
pray his problem is only dietary.  My current 2 kids get a high quality
ferret diet and are healthy as can be this will be my first experience with
a special needs ferret.  Any advice will be helpful.

I will keep you all informed on how he is doing.  Tonight I made the
decision no matter what, to do all I can do to save this little one.  I
figure if God brought him to my life then I must trust that things will
work out.  Please I'd appreciate any advice, or words of encouragement, or
prayers you care to offer.

Sincerly,
Brian, Mokey, & Keekee and ??