Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:29:36 EDT
Hey Bob

Not that I want to disagree with you, just want to clarify some stuff --
maybe I'm not the typical ferret owner, but I have had ferrets released to
the shelter that *did* starve to death -- they were sick and for whatever
reason, stopped eating.  In the case that I am personally aware of, the
ferret had a cold.  It hadn't eaten in over a week and a 2 year old male
ferret weighed less than half a pound when I saw it.  Why a cold would make
a ferret stop eating is beyond me -- but there it is and the ferret died.

My vet has shown me the proper methods of feeding by syringe.  I will not
feed any ferret that is unconscious, unresponsive or in any way fighting
too hard to be fed.  I have also been shown how to determine when the
stomach is full, so that overfeeding is not a problem.  But I will tell you
this: If I have a ferret in my shelter that isn't eating, I will force feed
until I can get them to a vet, whether that is just overnight or over the
weekend.  Even if its only a couple of cc's, its better than an empty
stomach.  I have seen the struggle with ulcers too often to not try and
prevent that!  My 'recipe' is simple: baby food, ground up kibble, sustacal
and water.  Thats it.  I add to it as my vet recommends - for instance,
anemic ferrets get added Pet tinic.

I actually don't like long-term force feedings - its too stressful on both
of us -- if I have a ferret that will not eat, I usually have a feeding
tube inserted -- they get the nutrients and medicines that they need
without a struggle and I know that they are eating without the fear of
aspiration.

I don't think that anyone should just start feeding without instruction,
as aspiration is a constant worry, but I do think it shouldn't be done.
I have saved too many ferrets by doing it to stop now.  Just my 2c.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854