From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 12:03:33 -0400
Graeme,

Sounds like you and your ferret were having a great time.  The hissing sound
was just a play sound.  Dogs will often make a growling sound when you play
tug of war with them.  This is sort of the ferret's "growl".  You'll
probably hear that often while playing with your ferret.

In other circumstances it might mean the equivalant of a "laugh" or in
others, a warning; again much like a dog's growl.

Ferret's are very communicative, with sounds and especially with body
language.  It just takes time to learn to speak fluent "ferret".  <G>

Don't worry.  Everyone is a newbe at sometime, and I think you found one of
the best places to get your questions answered.  There are a great bunch of
people here who really know ferrets, and are more than willing to help.

I got word from the publisher earlier this week that my book on ferrets is
due out in December - the editor is going through the draft now.  If you're
interested, email me and I'll see that you get the info packet when it's
ready.

Dick B.