From:
"HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 11:09:14 EST
Hi all--
I just wanted to reiterate Dick Bossart's advice about keeping your ferrets
on harnesses and leashes when letting them out in the snow.  You know how
fast they can dig to the bottom of the pot of that ficus tree you have
nutured for years?  Well, they dig even faster in snow, and you can't see
what direction they're moving in.

As to how long they can stay out, it depends a lot on the ferret.  Fat and
fluffy Amelia loves snow and will play for a long time, if it isn't too
cold; skinny short-haired Cully is interested in snow for about two minutes
and then wants to go home.  The more active the ferret is, the warmer it
stays, too.  I usually take Amelia in when her nose and paws start looking
pinker than normal.  I guess I figure if it's warm enough that I don't mind
standing in a snowbank with my ferret, then it isn't too cold for the
ferret.

Regina, who looks silly talking to a snowbank in the middle of the park
Amelia, snow bunny on and in the slopes
Cully, who will actually cuddle if you put him in the snow first