From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:55:54 -0400
I just need to vent some frustration.  I have 3 ferrets that I love
dearly, one of which is sort of a rescue.  So far these 3 have had a
total of 6 surgeries.  Now it looks like Pooh is going to need
cryosurgery, because the right adrenal is adhered to the vena cava.
Sprite, my rescue, is also starting to show signs of adrenal problems
again, (she also has mild insulinoma).  This has been a very lean year
for myself and many others.  The economy still stinks.  The stock market
still stinks, and everyone is worried about more terrorist activities.
How do you all do it?

When I got my babies, I knew I would have to deal with some health issues
and surgeries, but I guess I wasn't fully prepared for such a large
number of surgeries.  Is that normal?  I also was making about 6 times as
much salary-wise as I am now.  I know other people are feeling the same
kind of crunch I am.  Some of you run shelters and have many, many more
surgeries and health issues to worry about.  How do you do it?  I just
feel so stressed right now.  There is monetary stress, and the stress of
extra feedings for my baby with insulinoma.  If I also had children to
worry about now, I think I would go insane.

Before people start sending me flames, please do understand that I intend
to get the surgeries done that are needed.  I couldn't stand to see my
babies neglected or suffering in any way.  I tease my vet about giving me
a "frequent user" discount.

Now, on a more positive note - I have a cute story that I just have
to relate.  It's things like this that keep me going.  My husband
was playing with our 3 little hellspawn (a term of affection in our
household).  He had put them into a box, and was wrestling with them,
and they were all playing with each other.  The box wasn't very tall,
so Tigger eventually jumped out of the box the ran off.  Sprite decided
to do likewise, but due to her rear-leg weakness, she kept sliding back
down into the box.  Pooh went over to her, stuck his head under her rump,
and gave her a boost out of the box.  My husband laughed so hard he
almost hurt himself.  I think this shows just how intelligent and sweet
they can be.

Holly,
Tigger, Pooh, & Sprite (aka Piglet)