From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 01:27:07 -0400
Thought it was neat/interesting to see a ferret mentioned in the oddest of
places on TV today.  A newish commercial for Rolling Rock (beer) had a man
trying to explain why they put a picture of a horse on the bottle.  He said
it was because horses were popular animals.  He said he thought that the
order was 1. dog,  2. cat,  3. ferret,  4. horse!

If that's the case..then why didn't they put a ferret on the bottle!
Rolling Ferret Ale anyone?

btw re: cost of vets/living east vs..  west - Having lived most of my life
in Washington State, some of it in Texas, some in Minnesota, and some in
Nevada..now a North Carolina resident for several years I'm of the opinion
that the Southeast is the most expensive place I've ever lived.  I was
recently house hunting and I don't know what you think you can get for 100k
here..but I can bet you that it has the word "mobile home" attached to it.

My vet is fairly reasonable, he just did a right adrenalectomy for a friend
of mine and he charged her around $400 for the surgery, medication and path
reports on the gland and some enlarged lymph nodes.  Mind you, this was
with a $100 discount because he had previously removed the left, and it
hadn't done the job.

I also think you get what you pay for.  Most of the more ferret
knowledgeable and experienced vets seem to be in the East, from what I've
noticed.  There is another vet in our proximity that does adrenal surgeries
for about half the price that my vet does them, however he has about half
the experience.  Unfortunately that means he relies on the protocol in
texts rather than having his own personal experiences to help guide him,
and the last ferret I knew that went in for surgery there, sadly didn't
make it.  I have no problem paying more, knowing that my ferret is getting
the best care.

Robynn and the Fearsome Foursome