From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:00:54 -0800
>From:    Shelley Straight <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: questions about ferret shows

>I wanted to enter my beautiful boy, Bentley in the AFA show in December.  I
>am wondering soem things though:

Okay..  Being the only active AFA judge I know of that monitors this list
now..  (Inactive sure... lurking maybe...) I will specifically comment on
the AFA system.  (I could respond on the indepednat as well but you aren't
asking about Chicago...)

>1) What are they actually judged on?

Several catogories.

A) Conformation to standard.  This means is the ferret like what its assumed
the ideal ferret should be.  There is no one ideal in areas like color of
course.  Symmetricity.  Niceness of coat.  Strength of muscles and skeleton.

B) Temperament or disposition.  Fancy ways to say the ferret is alert,
playful, inquisative, and all those thing you like about ferrets.  It also
means non-fearful, non-biting, non-aggressive, and all those thing we hope
our ferrets are not.

C) Condidtion.  This is the area the owner is responsible for.  Is the
ferret clean, with no fleas, trimmed nails, not over not under fed.  Clean
ears and teeth etc.

An alter is primarily judged as a "pet" that matches the standard with more
emphasis on B&C than with adult whole ferrets that are potentially going to
pass on their genes.

>2) Are there any special "Handling" procedure I need to be aware of?

AFA specific... Bring a plastic travel crate.  The $10 kind is fine as is
the $50 kind.  The AFA system is a blind judging system where the judge does
not take the ferret directly from the owner.  I really believe this system
derived from the cat system is better than the older style where the owner
hands his.her ferret to the judge.  I work both ways on a regular basis.  If
you enter a specialty though it is still done the older way.  These are more
fun events with less trained judges.  The AFA does not sanction the
specialties - only the championship rings.  Specialty judges are often
training for the judge's license or are just folks who know a bunch about
ferrets.  Diane judges specialties now and then.  I do it at nearly every
show that I'm not judging championship.

Talk to us at the show and we'll help you "polish" your ferrets up before
you take them up.

>1) I wanted to get my male Bentley neutered before I returned hoem for
>inter break. That means in the beginning of December. If he is neutered
>12/4 will he be able to be shown on 12/13. This is one of the few shows
>that I can actually make. I thought it would be fun. But I am not sure he
>will be healed or if his lack of hair in that area would be a problem.

No problem - assuming no infections or complications set in.  Stitches might
already be out but the hair willo not be grown back.  We do see this at
times and understand that things happen the way they happen.

>2) My female SAdie has teeth staining, I assume that would automatically
>put her at a disadvantage at a show. Right or wrong?

Again let us see the teeth.  We might be able to help.  It will cost a bit
in championship but not in some specialties which are pure beauty contests
of a particular color.

Staining though is not the problem tarter is.  It happens and many ferrets
have some staining.

>3) I have my last final 12/12 in the afternoon.  Am I dreaming on making it
>from Blacksburg to the show in time to register on the 13th.  Is this just
>way too hectic.

You need to enter BEFORE the show date check the AFA web site
http://www.ferret.org for specifics.

Its an 8 to 10 hour drive.  I used to drive from Germantown MD down to
Radford EVERY weekend... You decide.  College age folk have different
standards than older folks...

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/