From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:40:04 -0600
Oh no..... (sob)

I hope that the Illinois person will reconsider what they are doing to
the ferrets.  It is fine to love ferrets, but we must also know our
limitations.  I have been known to take on more than my plate will hold,
but the ferrets are not the ones that suffer for it, I am, healthwise and
financially.  If it ever came to the point that the ferrets might suffer, I
would put out a call for help.  I don't understand how anyone could allow
these precious creatures to suffer locked in filthy cages with lack of
nutritional food and the human bonding they so crave and need and to just
let them die.  This makes my heart ache so....

The post about the so called shelter in Illinois has given me an idea.

I know that this is not always possible but I think we might be able to
work something out.  When someone needs to re-home their ferrets and they
have picked the person to receive them, perhaps there might be other fml'rs
in that area willing to 'check-out' the prospect.  This way we can find out
if the person wanting the ferret(s) is capable of providing a good
responsible proper home for them, well sort of anyway.

Someone could be a coordinator, similar to FAA, and have people in each
state that volunteer to do the spot checks then report back to the
coordinator and then the coordinator can report back to the person wanting
to re-home their ferrets.  This will be done all above board and the
prospect must be open to a home inspection.  We can create a committee as
well and forms to report back with if needed.  As feedback is received
about people/shelters their profiles are built which might eliminate
situations such as the one in Illinois.

I know if I had to place one of my own dearly loved family members I would
feel better if I knew the conditions and treatment ahead of time.

Oh, and if this idea is agreeable to others I'd be happy to serve on the
committee. :-)

Oh, and Angel, your post brought tears to my eyes.  I wish I could help all
the old and sick little ones.  I know, wishes don't make dreams come true,
but I do want you to know that I do what I can for the little ones in our
area.

I know at Thanksgiving we should be thankful for what we have, but this
Thanksgiving I will also be wishing that Angel's wishes come true.  And
Angel, if you hear of any ferrets in or near Kansas needing help, please
do let me know.  I'll do my best to help.

Hugs to all. tle (going to have a good cry now....)
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity