From:
Deborah Bistodeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:43:43 EST
Risa, this is not uncommon for aged ferrets to go deaf.  Over 16 years, I
have more than many ferrets, especially the ones that are deaf or going
deaf (I'm deaf myself).  I have several 12 years old ferrets that are
finally going deaf especially Shingos.  I've had some that slowly go deaf
as their age progresses.  It does happen at an earlier age.  As long as
you test as much as you can to see how much hearing loss, you know where
to handle from there.  One bit of advice that I tell everyone - if the
ferret is truly deaf or going deaf - please rub on the belly or on the
back repeatedly to softly wake them up.  Some people I know tends to
pound or shake the cage to get them to wake up.  It results in scaring
them out of their fuzzy boots which isn't good for them.  I know I
wouldn't!  I remember a dorm supervisor that used to shake with her foot
at my bed and I'd (as a teen) would be peeved.  Ha.

Please feel free to get in touch with us for any advice on handling deaf
ferrets where things are much gentler and how to communicate in ferret
signs or other methods (that is, if your fuzzy kiddo is truly deaf after
testing).  Good luck, Risa!

April, Deb and the wardancers