Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:34:13 EDT
For any of you on FML that do not have a deaf ferret-consider yourself
lucky.  Think twice before taking in a deaf little one.The discussions on
deaf ferrets being bred by the Marshall people and other breeders is
interesting.  I am glad people are writing about ferret breeders and how
they should not be selling deaf ferrets, or breeding them.

I go to pet stores to talk to people about ferrets and see how they are
doing within a 20 mile radius.  It is not uncommon for a big ferret to
be sitting in a cage that was given back to the pet store.

No one tells me the animal is deaf.  Maybe they don't know.  But it
usually is around here.  Who wants to pay good money for a defective
animal??  Especially from a breeder where you are also going to have to
shell out money for surgery to de-sex the ferret, and pay a lot for it
to begin with.

I personally would feel betrayed and swindled if a breeder or pet store
sold me a deaf ferret and did not make it clear that it was deaf before
I purchased it.

It is not just that I cannot train my deaf throw away guys to use the
litter box outside of their cage.  I have had to buy all new flooring
partly because of them.But in addition, They have taught the others their
bad habits.  And aside from maybe all of us on the FML, I do not think a
whole lot of others would keep a deaf ferret and let it out of its cage
if it was pooping all over..

But the worst thing about deaf ferrets for me PERSONally?  My Deaf ferrets
give me high blood pressure, hurt my heart, give me anxiety, and make me
cry.  When I cannot find a hearing fert, I know that eventually in the
day, the butt face will hear my voice and respond by scratching or
thrashing, or doing something if it is stuck somewhere.  Of course I am
concerned.

But, My deaf ferrets really take a toll on me.  When I cannot find them-
I am panicked and afraid..  They may thrash around when I am out of the
room.  They cannot hear my voice.  If they escape-they will never hear me
as I run around looking for them.  One of them is ill, and must have his
meds or he will be too weak to move.  Where is he????

I would not pass that stress onto anyone by breeding deaf ferrets or
selling them.

There have been some Good discussions for all of us to determine on our
own if we would buy a deaf ferret or take one in from a shelter.  These
guys have feelings.  I cannot imagine how my two felt when they lost their
initial family because they were deaf.

Lisette