From:
Trevor & Gwen Glossop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 19:57:55 +0800
September last year two found female ferrets in Perth, Western Australia,
pretty bald heavily in season, turned blue all over (including the pads of
their feet) a week after being mated with a vasectomised hob.  What was
this?  Nobody knew!  They were treated for worms, foot rot, and anything
that was not nailed down and voila - 2 weeks later everything went away!
Their hair grew back and they were gorgeous and still are.

Last August I was given a female ferret by a woman who bought three but only
wanted to keep two females.  We think the ages of the three ferrets is
around one year old each.  My ferret Coco came into season first and I sent
her to a vasectomised hob.  Some time after her belly and feet turned blue.
She also showed signs of being pregnant with weight gain and enlarged
nipples.  All this soon went away.  Then the other two females came into
season, again, after being to a vasectomised hob they turned blue.

What these ferrets all had in common:-
(1) Possibly age and sex (young females)
(2) All were in season before turning blue.
(3) Moulting, changing their coats.
Coco came into season again last month but did not turn blue afterwards.
We can not find anyone, vet or otherwise, who knows what it is. It isn't
terminal and does go away, so we have to assume it's hormonal.
If anyone can enlighten us, please do so.
Gwennith..........