From:
steve baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:25:43 -0500
Last night I was freaked out.  Before we brought our Snowflake in for
her yearly Rabies vaccine, we gave her some benedryl as usual.  She's
never reacted to anything before, but just to be safe.  She received the
vaccine at 6:00pm and at about 8:00 she started losing bowel control and
was limp.  She couldn't walk or open her eyes, I thought she DIED.  I
was so scared.  WHen I picked her up she just flopped over my hand like
a piece of meat.  She was shaking badly.  I called our vet, they were
closed and referred the PETS emergency center.  I have been to PETS
before and was NOT impressed at all.  But I called them anyway and
wouldn't answer anything I said over the phone and said I have to come
in to pay the initial $65 fee first.  SO I called smoketown and columbia
animal vets and they both would not answer me once they asked if
Snowflake was a patient of theirs and I said "no".  They said I should
call an emergecny vets, also and would not give me any help.

Is this normal?  I thought someone would be nice and at least give me
some reassurance or else be nice.  But both vets were rude the second
they found out I wasn't a patient, like they only give out advice to
customers.  Maybe that's what you are supposed to do?  But I was a little
surprised.  Everytime I call my vet with a question, they don't even ask
my name or if I am a patient of theirs, I guess I picked the right place.

We decided that we'd wait to see if Snowflake got better or worse and
she got better and this morning she is fine.  Should we still bring her
to the vet to get checked out even though she seems normal again?

THanks.
Jen in PA