From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:51:56 -0400
> ...katie,who would turn one on may5th has a tumor surrounding her heart
>and lungs, its huge... it all happened so fast..  she's using about 10% of
>her lungs and thats all, the doctor has her on oxygen and when he took her
>out t o see us she was heaving and lethargic and she was just playing with
>me last week... please, someone tell me of a story where an operation to
>remove a tumor surrounding the lungs and heart worked... i have a feeling
>the best thing to do is just to help her go... someone please convince me
>otherwise...

That sounds like it's possibly Juvenile Lymphoma.  I am sorry, but if it
is JL I don't know of any good news to offer.  There was a ferret of Cindy
Sooy (if I recall right) which had a primary tumor that responded to
strong chemo begun early but even in that case some cells had make it to
the spinal cord and the ferret didn't make it.  Even if not JL thoracic
tumors are very bad news.  We recently had to have a mercy shot for
lovable, gentle Jumpstart due to one.  I am sorry.  Sometime the only
comfort is in knowing that a certain illness is at least rare and that
you aren't alone.

>my son's ferret Rocky developed a 'rat tail'.  my best friend from high
>school who has never owned a ferret said "i think that's an allergy'" i
>said to her 'what do you know, you are a dog owner." she insisted to me
>that Rocky's rat tail was (is) an allergy.  well, i was told that
>ferretone isn't exactly good for ferrets, to give our guys linatone
>instead.  well, 2ms AFTER we started giving them linatone, his tail
>started growing back.  6ms later his tail was completely back.

Why in the world do you think that Ferretone is bad for them?  It isn't
bad.  Linatone appears to be okay, too.  We use either, and have at times
used Efa-Z, depending on the ferret and problem.  It sounds like the
ferret had one of the possible transient causes of tail fur loss.  Dry
skin is not unknown as a cause of rat tail (so giving oils or even rubbing
some safe nes on helps reduce that problem so at times can be curative),
nor is a strong shed, nor is a skin illness that may at time pass on its
own over time, etc.

>Has anyone used melatoma on ferrets?

Think that you mean melatonin -- VERY different meaning to the word.
Use the search engine at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-List
and you will find piles and piles of info on this.  Also check in the
resources at
http://geocities.com/sukieslist
since some of those will most clearly explain adrenal neoplasia to you.