From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 08:12:44 -0700
Hey folks,

Just to add a little, I know its off topic...

The Klez worm can pull email addresses from anywhere.  Need not be an
address book.  Could be a sent mail folder, etc.

FYI, if you use an web-based email address, such as AOL or Yahoo, you
cannot get the worm via reading or previewing the email.  This is because
the email resides server-side.  (If you use Outlook Express, etc., you
have to actually download the email off the server onto your computer to
read it, which is why you CAN get the worm by previewing the email.)  If
you use a web-based email address, you would have to download and open an
attachment to get the worm.

Also, I have recently had to find and clean a co-workers computer of the
worm without the aid of anti-virus software, it can be done, and is no
reason to panic.  This worm is highly infectious but actually doesn't do
a great deal of damage.  I estimate my co-worker's computer was infected
for about a week before we caught it, and she only lost two important
executable files, and they were for Microsoft Office programs which we
could reinstall.  She lost NO neccessary system files, and clean up was
a breeze.

The key is to keep your anti-virus software up to date, and not to panic.
NO virus can destroy your computer, it can ONLY be a real pain in the butt
and you might lose documents you needed or wanted.  Which is a good reason
to frequently back up anything you are working on, onto floppy disks, zip
disks or writable CDs.

Though the article Sukie posted is good, I urge everyone to read up
frequently on worms and viruses at www.symantec.com.  (Norton Anti-Virus
home page) Their info is extremely useful.

The worm disables your ability to update your anti-virus software, so
initial cleanup must be done manually.  I can provide instructions on
how to tell if you have the virus without current anti-virus software.
Complicated steps, but easy to do.  Just a quick peek in a file most
people never look at.  AND, if anyone has this virus but doesn't have
current software, I can provide easy instructions on how to clean your
system.

Melissa Kuzara
Mira, Tasha, Robin, Nietzsche, Samurai and O'Dell
Missing Cael and Booboo always