From:
"Valerie B. Olszyk" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 10:10:09 EST
Hi everyone,
Well, last night I took the plunge again and got another ferret.  Now I
have 3!  I believe this new guy (HodgePodge) is deaf.  He does not respond
at all to even the loudest, sharpest noises and he has the color pattern
associated with deafness.  I would like advice from any deaf ferret owners
out there about what I should expect.  How do I handle him differently than
a hearing ferret?  How do I train him?  Obviously shouting "No" when he is
digging in my plants will not work.
Also, I'd like to know what color to call him.  He is rather unusual.  His
head and neck are white with large butterscotch patches, his eyes are dark
red, his shoulders and front legs are dark sable, his back is silver to his
hips then his back legs are dark sable, all four feet are white and his
belly is yellow/white with butterscotch and sable blotches and the tip of
his tail is white.  Now you know why his name is HodgePodge!!!  I know it
sounds horrible, but he is actually really cute once you get used to him.
By the way, my other two accepted him instantly and my female put him to
sleep last night grooming him.  How cute!

Thanks in advance for all the great help!

Valerie